Should Students be Able to Use Cell Phones in Class?

Back to Article
Back to Article

Photo Courtesy Alejandro Rivera

Photo Courtesy Alejandro Rivera

Photo Courtesy Alejandro Rivera

Kevin Espana, Alejandro Rivera, Karina Santacruz, Katherine Pacheco, Reporters

Pros: Students should be able to use their phones during class because it is fundamental for educational purposes, such as research, projects, calculators, or even putting important dates on a phone calendar when their homework or project is due. Students could also use their phones in serious emergencies to contact their parents. For instance, if the student has an accident, if the school receives a threat, or anything else serious, students would be able to call for help quickly. Students can also use their phones to listen to music. Music can help with anxiety and depression if students are shy or not sociable.

Another valuable use of the phone in class would be to access Schoology, which is a learning management system where students can check their grades. Teachers can interact with students on Schoology. It is a more organized way to communicate with students and keep them updated. Subsequently, the use of cellphones in class is fundamental for students because it provides students with essential materials that school ipads or laptops simply can’t provide.

Cons: Students should not have access to their phones during class because it can distract them and their classmates from learning. As a result, student’s grades will go down due to the amount of distraction it causes. Phones can also be used to cheat on tests or assignments, which detracts from actual learning. First and foremost, students are in class to learn, not to play games or check social media. Using phones undermines the purpose of being in school in the first place. Also, teachers get frustrated when students aren’t focusing in class because they are using their phones. It’s disrespectful to teachers and a direct violation of school rules.