LAUSD: Schools Shut Until May 1

Online learning is working, but students report missing classmates and direct instruction from their teachers.

Erika Quinonez, Reporter

Schools in the Los Angeles Unified School District, including our own Maya Angelou Community High, will be closed through May 1, the district announced in a statement Monday.

Schools have been closed since March 16 over fears of the coronavirus.

“I wish I could tell you it will all be back to normal sometime soon but it does not look like that will be the case,” Superintendent Austin Beutner said in a statement.

Academic classes have moved to an online format with students checking in daily with their teachers through Schoology.

Some Maya students report feeling upset about being isolated at home. Although most are already trained in digital work, being at a computer all day without contact with teachers or peers is rough.

I interviewed a fellow student named Devin and asked if he was finding it easy to keep up with online school.

“Not really. Some assignments are pretty hard and I’m starting to go crazy staying home all day having nothing to do,” he said. “I rather go to school and learn and spend time with my peers.”

Another student, Caleb, said he was afraid of meeting graduation requirements.

“The truth is that I’m pretty scared of what’s going on. What’s going to happen to my education? I’m really concerned about my education because online schooling isn’t really working for me. This is something teenagers should not be experiencing.”