Analysis: Law Enforcement Agencies Protect South Central

LA School Police is just one of many law enforcement agencies patrolling South Central

Jonathan Rojas, Criminal Justice Reporter

There are several law enforcement agencies patrolling Los Angeles cities, all working together to keep citizens safe. 

There is the the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI), the California Highway Patrol (CHP) and the Los Angeles Police Department (LAPD) — and, here on campus, the Los Angeles School Police Department (LASPD).

Students at Maya Angelou Community High are probably familiar with Officer De la Cruz, who is with LASPD and does outreach with students.

Officer De la Cruz spoke with The Phoenix Press to explain how the agencies have kept crime down in South Central over the past 20 years.

“Back then in the 90’s there was gangs which really bad compared to today,” he said. 

South Central is known for the gangs and being territorial. Over the years, there has been many gang shoot-outs that have resulted in both gang members and innocent civilian deaths.  

LASPD officers keep students safe on campus and the surrounding area while LAPD officers patrol the streets by car and on foot.

CHP officers will drive into the area if they’ve been following someone on the highway or are making Drunk Driving arrests.

The FBI also plays a pivotal role. In some cases, the federal agency takes over gang crime investigations with more manpower. The FBI also investigate terrorist incidents and foreign intelligence threats.

No agency would be as effective by itself for the reason that the agencies need each other to have a power house.

Therefore, we need all agencies to protect citizens in South Central.